A guest blog post by Lindsey Wright; Use Technology that Enhances Curriculum in English Classes

Learning English as a second language is a complex undertaking. Some language specialists have noted that English is among the most difficult languages to learn. With numerous homophones and complicated rules of grammar, many students struggle to attain fluency. However, the immediate and future rewards for doing so are many, so the endeavor is well worth the effort.

Because learning English can be so frustrating, many teachers have devised a multitude of methods through which they hope to make the process just a little easier. Games can enhance the experience and make it more fun. Immersion programs expose learners to a multitude of concepts all at once. Online classes enable students to complete courses with greater flexibility. Such methods are tried and true, but with the growing role of technology in everyday life it only seems natural that ESL teachers should incorporate some form of technology in their methods.

Many social networking technologies are excellent tools for reinforcing the concepts introduced during class. ESL students should be encouraged to use Twitter to communicate with their teachers and peers. They are limited to only 140 characters and so must carefully craft a message for meaning and readability. Though the first tries are likely to be rough, ESL learners will quickly grow more adept as they continue to practice.

Another popular way to use technology for ESL lessons is by creating a class Wiki. A Wiki is essentially a collaborative website built by all of the members of the class, including the teacher. It doesn’t really matter what subject matter the Wiki covers; what’s important is that everyone participates. Students would be encouraged to write, proofread, and edit the content they contribute. The teacher can post questions for discussion to keep the Wiki active and on target. It’s also a fun way to experiment with web design, making this a class project with multiple utilities.

Other ESL teachers have reported great success from using the Flickr website. Using Flickr teachers and students can upload and share photos with text. The use of a visual element brings the lesson to life and gives students real world examples. Teachers might post a photograph and ask students to describe the action in the scene, and then query them about whether they’ve ever done something similar and also ask them to describe the experience. Students can also use Flickr in small groups or pairs in exercises where they are asked to describe an assigned image and then compare it to the image assigned to their partners. The diversity of projects made possible with Flickr is immense and students typically enjoy these experiences.

Some experts have gone farther than simply integrating some technology into a traditional ESL classroom environment. There are those, in fact, who maintain that ESL classes can be conducted entirely online. The web-based environment would of course allow students learning English to interact through text, but would also contain an audio component through which students could actually hear the correct pronunciation of words and complete sentences. The convenience of such online courses for students encountering English for the first time is undeniable. Students could log on to the course website from anywhere with internet access at any time. They would complete assignments and gain proficiency more or less at their own pace within the broad structure of the course schedule.

However, not everyone agrees that it’s advisable to learn a foreign language in a fully online environment. Similarly, while using technology to learn languages is generally accepted as a good idea, some teachers are apprehensive that technology is used in class simply for it’s own sake rather than for any actual value it adds to the course.

The right technology has the power to engage ESL learners and enhance their ability to acquire and retain the English language so that they can useit fluently and consistently. When the technology utilized supports the stated curricular goals of the ESL classroom then it is a worthwhile accompaniment to more traditional teaching methods.

Not all technology is necessarily useful or relevant to ESL learning. The main benefit of technology in the ESL classroom is its ability to help students make connections. Perhaps students will be able to participate in a Skype-enabled conference with their classmates and teacher. Maybe they will make connections with other ESL students and be able to share experiences. It is these kinds of innovations that make technology in the classroom so incredibly valuable.

That said, there is no need to rush toward incorporating each new piece of technology into ESL teaching. Cutting-edge technologies that have just been introduced to the marketplace may have a number of kinks that need to be worked out before they can truly benefit ESL students, if they prove to be relevant and useful at all. It can be better to wait to bring new technologies into teaching until they’ve had opportunity to mature a bit and be tested by early adopters. A second version of a software program or new device often follows closely on the heels of the first and may include many useful improvements that make it superior to the original offering.

Technology has the power to transform the learning experience of ESL students everywhere, but it should be incorporated judiciously and with forethought. Not everything in ESL study needs to revolve around the inclusion of technology. Great learning success can still be achieved using a pen and a piece of paper or from engaging in a lively classroom conversation and discussion. ESL teachers must reflect on what methods will best engage their students. Sometimes these can include technology, other times they need not. Mixing the use of technology with more traditional teaching methods encourages flexibility and adaptability, something that can benefit students even after the end of their formal ESL education.

25 thoughts on “A guest blog post by Lindsey Wright; Use Technology that Enhances Curriculum in English Classes

1. In order to cultivate the kind of technology literacy in our students called for by leaders in the field, it must simultaneously be cultivated in our teachers. While the literature in the field of English education demonstrates the efficacy of computer technology in writing instruction and addresses its impact on the evolving definition of literacy in the 21st century, it does not provide measured directions for how English teachers might develop technology literacy themselves or specific plans for how they might begin to critically assess the potential that technology might hold for them in enhancing instruction.

2. I love your blog post, it was very informative. Have you ever heard of the “F Pattern” from the eye tracking studies on people and how they read content while one a website? I wonder if this could be useful in the Wiki’s for the students..

3. Thanks for the post, great info. I’m having some problems changing the meta data on Joomla. Any advice or help? The meta data fields are filled in, but the original page source isn’t changing. Any feedback would be great, thanks.

4. I have been trying to find this info. Just so you know I established your blog when I had looking for weblogs like my own,my blog someday and post me a ideas to let me know what you think.

5. Nice info! I wonder which english online class is the best for me… i’m portuguese and I need it for my job.

6. I like your website submit, it turned out quite informative. What’s in the “F Pattern” in the attention following reports on people and how they examine articles although one a web site? I ponder if this type of could possibly be attractive the actual Wiki’s for your pupils..

7. british Council website for teacher and for students is really great. also cambridge, pearson, macmillan and oxford websites offer great resources

8. thank you very much. I am not sure about the F pattren though. sorry.

9. Thank you so much for sharing this post! I do believe incorporating technology with the old methods will enhance productivity, interactiveness and most of all… fun learning. 😉

10. Very nice post, Thanks for this publishing. Really help me a lot.

11. Earning bookish knowledge would not be sufficient if you want to
    learn a new languagewith great perfection. The more you speak, the faster you come to know about your grammatical mistakes.

12. To build an interesting, innovative and correct content-rich website is one of the most important task while developing any website… This post is helpful in this way…

13. Great flow of writing and quite informative too…

14. Your post was an interesting read. Very good take on how technology can enhance students learning.

15. I truly love to try and incorporate technology in my teaching class. But one thing is still hard for me to make it happen, We don’t have a fully access of internet in our rural area. Actually, we have it but limited. Such methods above would give more chance for students to really practice their own words into a real communication aspect despite of writing skill only. We fully realize here, we need more practice our language by searching more active and different atmosphere than only stuck inside the classroom. Thanks for sharing

16. As a french canadian, I learned english the old way, but new technology can help young people