Scenario 1 for you to evaluate in terms of effective language teaching

Please see the lesson stages in Scenario 1 and kindly evaluate it in terms of the criteria for effective language teaching in my previous post.

•      * T aims to teach “modals” for predictions/ speculations.

* T shows some pictures from the course book and asks some concept check questions, i.e. shows a happy young couple with a baby and asks if they can guess how old the baby is, students say 1 year old or 1,5 years old and s/he concept checks: Can the baby be 5 years old? Elicits “No” etc. T does this with two other unrelated pictures and makes sure that students get the target language. T writes on the board how the predictions are made considering whether it is a strong guess or a weak guess, etc.

* T asks students get into groups of three and look at a picture reflected on the board and asked to write similar predictions. They are puzzled and blocked.

*   T goes and tries to help them understand the task and corrects the mistakes.

* T asks students to listen to the CB CD for the language input. S/he gives them the text script worksheet where the grammar points were erased and students were asked to fill in the blanks.

Questions

1. What is good about this lesson? or what is wrong with this lesson?
  2. Is this a contextual lesson?
  3. Does the group work require communication or collaboration?
  4. Is this a coherent lesson?
  5. What is the purpose of asking students produce sentences before they get the proper input
  6. Why does the teacher ask grammar questions before ensuring the meaning of the dialogue?

My suggestions will follow after getting some ideas from you.

Thank you for your contribution to the discussion

4 thoughts on “Scenario 1 for you to evaluate in terms of effective language teaching

1. I think warm up activity is a good one. I would do the same. Showing engaging and relevant pictures is a good start but it seems that there is something wrong with the lesson. I think that the problem is delivery. Teacher should have reinforced the language point more efficiently. She should have asked some concept checking questions and also instructions checking questions. She should have given the language input more efficiently. I think that stages is not well organized. It could have been more engaging and relevant. What the teacher wanted students to recognize is not clear. She could make her students understand what they are doing and why they are doing that. She could have been a role model before giving them a class activity. It is very normal that students ara puzzled and blocked because they did not get a proper input and the teacher wanted them to produce sentences without reinforcing the language target. Group work requires collaboration and communication. Students must look at the pictures, talk to each other and make predictions.

2. 1-Showing pictures which makes Ss guess. Trying to guess something makes Ss think about which structure should be used. The wrong thing in this lesson is that T does not make clear the structure and does not explain or give more example. Then t expects Ss understand the structure and speak.
    2-I think this lesson is contextual lesson.
    3-Group work requires communication.They should talk about their guess.
    4-I think can is not enough to expressing our guess so I think this lesson is not so coherent.It is uncompleted under the title of modals.
    5-I think T tries to prepare Ss to the structure and see what Ss use for guess.So T uses the knowledge of Ss and teaches Ss the unknown. The unknown thing turns into a new learn thing.
    6-I think grammar or structure is more important than meaning for T.

3. I mean, warm up can be usable. I will try actually but there are some problems. T didn’t focus on language clearly. It hasn’t in order organize. T should have given
    parallel example as you want. Moreover, Group work assures collabration and communication. Students take courage with group work. They can correct things they do not understand and can talk each other.

4. Hello there,

My name is Jessica Hutchins and I’m a professional blogger.
    I have over seven years of experience writing for the web and have covered plenty of interesting topics.
    I noticed that you have a blog – http://btezcan.edublogs.org/
    … and was wondering whether you would be interested to accept some relevant topics as guestpost for your blog.
    Please let me know your interest so that I can send across some topics from where we can get started.
    Hoping to hear from you at the earliest!
    Thanks Much!!
    Kind Regards,
    Jessica Hutchins